The 9 ¼ mile Buckingham branch of the Grand Union Canal, one of the narrowest in Britain, was completed in around 8 months and opened on 1st May 1801. The opening ceremony was attended by local dignitaries including the Marquis of Buckingham and included a procession of 12 barges loaded with coal, slate and other goods along with musicians. They were greeted at the Wharf by a salute of cannon fire and there followed a celebration at The Cobham Arms including free beer for the local population. The canal branch was in use for over 100 years, but it closed partly due to a tendency to become silted up and also the increased use of railways to transport goods. It was no longer in use by 1909.