This is where the terminus of the Buckingham arm of the Grand Union Canal was. Built in 1801 the canal brought industry to Buckingham.
The opening of the Canal was highly celebrated. The Marquis of Buckingham, along with a large party of ladies and gentlemen, arrived on 12 barges laden with coal and slate. Several cannons fired as they arrived! The Marquis hosted a party at the Cobham Arms after and supplied the locals with plenty of free beer to celebrate.
Only 60 years later, a proposed railway line through Buckingham was established and the canal struggled to compete. Eventually, the canal was abandoned in the 1960s. It is now being restored by Buckingham Canal Society.