This large open space at the centre of Buckingham has always been a hive of busy industry, with maps as far back as 1610 showing the space.
This area has been the place to hear and celebrate political news and celebrate events for centuries. The Duke of Chandos was known for paying for lavish Ox-roasts in the market square that locals could take part in, while later residents would gather in tight crowds to hear the election results from the front of the Old Town Hall.
The open spaces themselves were used for markets and fairs.
• The Charter Fair each October started in 1554, with permission granted by Royal Charter of Mary Tudor to become the free Borough of Buckingham. The fair started as an opportunity for workers to find new jobs and enjoy amusements.
• A further Royal Charter by Charles II in 1664 allowed the town to have its twice weekly market.
• These include live sheep and cattle markets, a tradition kept up until the 1950s.
With thanks to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies for the archive image of the Sheep Market in 1906 and a celebration outside the White Hart in 1911.