The bridge here was the main route into London until 1815 when the London Road Bridge was built.
The bridge itself varied over the years with the current footbridge built in 1988. Celia Fiennes who travelled “side saddle” all over Britain wrote in 1697 that Sheriff’s Bridge was: “a very high bridge tho’ the river seemed not then so very full, but it swells after great raines which makes them build their arches so large.”
Today the bridge is no longer made of stone, but still offers views of the ford to one side and along Chris Nicholls walk towards Chandos Park on the other. Chris Nicholls was a lifelong fan of Buckingham Town Football Club, whose grounds used to be next to the river here.
With thanks to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies for the use of archive photographs.