Each of the small communities that made up Buckingham by the 1500s had its own Mill. Castle Mill served Prebend, Town (Tanlaw) Mill served Buckingham and Bourton Mill served Bourton. It was usual for local families to take their own crops to the mill to be processed into flour.
The choice of site here allowed for a large weir to be built and much of it still remains, including the stone and brick building and the wheel at the side of the building.
By the 1930s the mill building was stood empty and all the equipment having been removed. Bourton Mill is now a health and leisure club.
With thanks to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies for this archive image of Bourton Mill in 1936.